HYDEN FAMILIES

This page is devoted to information on the HYDEN families which I collected while pursuing the HYTEN and HITEN families. Several branches of the latter were actually connected to the HYDENs. While I collected HYDEN information I did not always follow normal genealogy protocol, that is, I sometimes connected names where I supposed them to belong rather than where I absolutely knew they belonged. It was a correction to a part of my HYDEN tree that connected a branch of HYTENs to the HYDENs. It is my goal to trace HYTENs thus I was happy for that help, and now I hope for yours.
Contact me with corrections or additions at 618-656-4105 or hytenjr@gmail.com
Bob Hyten, Jr.

January 19, 2010

UNRESOLVED QUESTIONS

The following are questions that I haven’t been able to answer in my 20 year research of the HYTEN family tree:

HYDEN QUESTIONS


1. I think listing HIRAM HYDEN (b.1795; married to Rosanah) as JAMES GOFF HYDEN’s brother is probably wrong because HIRAM HYDEN is in 1850 Knox Co., TN census with his wife, ROSANAH, and daughter.
I think the Vigo Co., IN. HIRAM HYDEN (b. 1790-1800) is JAMES GOFF HYDEN’s brother. JG was in Edgar Co., IL in 1830 five years before HIRAM bought land in Vigo Co., IN ... land right on the IN-IL state line less than 30 miles from where JG lived.
There is no proof which HIRAM is which but I think this makes more sense.
What do you think?

2. I think that the CATHERINE HYDEN in the 1860 Vigo Co., IN census is HIRAM HYDEN’s wife. The MARGARET with her is her daughter-in-law, the first wife of WILLIAM HENRY HYDEN. Also listed is SYLVANIUS, who is apparently MARGARET’s son.
Separately, the 1860 Marion Co., IL census has W. H, HYDEN and wife MARGARET, and their first 2 children were listed.
I think these are the same families.
I think SYLVANIUS, who only appears in that census in IN, is the Sylvanius, head of the Oklahoma HITEN family who was listed as born in Illinois.

3. HIRAM HYDEN could have been dead by 1860 .. his land was still in his name in 1858.
By 1871 that land was owned by his son-in-law W.H.Reese. (Info from Vigo County plat maps.)
This is all “I think” even after going thru the Vigo Co., IN and Effingham Co., IL records. Vigo land records have been micr-fished (sic) and half are unreadable so I don’t know when the land was transferred.

Two other HYDENs remain unconnected to the main body:

4. JOHN L. HYDEN who married Maranda Little. He and his family of ten children is listed in the 1869, 1870, and 1880 censuses of Grandview, Edgar County, Illinois, which is about 20 miles west of HIRAM HYDEN in VidoCo., IN.

5. JOHN HYTEN/HYDEN Is listed alone in 1840 and 1850 Owen Co.,IN. He and wife Elizabeth Beem-Craig and nine children born between 1825 and 1839 are listed in 1880 Owen Co.,IN.

6. My November, 2010 internet work has raised questions about GEORGE RICE HYDEN, his marriages and the number of children from each. See Pages 2 and 2a.

7. Also on that Page 2a is a whole family grouping of which I had no been familiar except for having the names JESSIE LEE and BARNEY CALVIN not connected to anyone.

HITEN QUESTIONS

1. Are the HITENs connected to the HYTENs as I believe? Both families were in Kentucky in the early 1800s just 40 miles apart.

2. HENRY HITEN (1838-1901) and the south-central INDIANA HITENs aren’t yet connected to the HITENs, HYTENs, or HYDENs.

3. See HYDEN question No. 2 about SYLVANIUS HITEN and the OKLAHOMA HITENs.

4. The South African HITENs probably cannot be connected unless we get the
American branches connected back to Scotland from which the South Africans came.

HYTEN QUESTIONS

With the Unconnected HYTENs now connected to the HYDENs, the only questions seemingly remaining are;

1. Who was the first HYTEN in the colonies? When did he come? And from where?

2. Is JOSIAH HEIGHTON/HYTEN in fact connected to JOSEPH and other HYTENs I have before him?

I hope I don’t have to wait 20 more years to solve these mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment